Skip to content
Call Us: 01 525 2670 Or
Book Online Now
Your health is our top priority at Dame Street Dental, which is why we pride ourselves on providing not only the highest quality dental work, but also looking after your broader oral and overall health.
What is Oral Medicine?
Oral Medicine is the branch of dentistry concerned with the diagnosis and management of both typical and less common diseases or disorders of the oral cavity. These include the detection of potentially malignant growths and ulcers (such as oral cancer or salivary gland conditions), facial pain or sensory disorder where a dental cause has been ruled out, and the oral signs of disease or infection elsewhere in the body affecting one or more or its systems. Following standard qualification and practice as a dentist, this designated field requires additional specialized training and expertise to practice, and as such this diagnostic and treatment area bridges the gap between dentistry and medicine.
Our Oral Medicine specialist, Dr. Jimmy Butt, understands the vital importance of comprehensive, timely and accessible care in optimizing your oral health, safe-guarding your general health and welfare, and improving your quality of life. Dr. Butt brings extensive experience from his previous full-time position as a hospital doctor overseeing oral and facial cancers and complex oral surgical procedures, while his commitment to providing excellence in complete patient care sees him currently studying for a secondary qualification from Trinity College Dublin in Medicine.
Should I see an oral medicine dental specialist?
To provide appropriate and prompt investigation and intervention, in addition to promoting peace of mind, an Oral Medicine consultation with Dame Street Dental may be advisable for you, if:
- You or your dentist spot a suspicious lesion (abnormal tissue, such as a growth) in your mouth
- You suffer from recurrent or severe mouth ulcers, particularly if not responsive to primary care treatment
- You require treatment for common oral mucosal conditions, such as lichen planus (swelling and/or an irritated or itchy rash inside your mouth)
- You need to have a biopsy of an oral mucosal lesion, whether of the oral cavity or gums, inner cheek, or lips
- You experience unexplained and persistent dryness, inflammation or a burning sensation in your mouth
- You suffer from pain in your jaw or lower face, where dental or orthodontic causes have been excluded
- Your daily function or quality of life, inclusive of your mental wellbeing, are impacted by chronic or recurrent oral symptoms or issues
- Your dentist advises an Oral Medicine consultation, either following an examination or check-up at our clinic, or we are always happy to see new patients who have been advised to seek a specialist consult
- You have any worries about your oral health, whether due to present or recurring symptoms, or any family history of oral or systemic disease – at Dame Street Dental we operate on an entirely non-judgemental ethos and practice, and will always treat your health concerns with the utmost seriousness and sensitivity
Our clinic works closely with the Oral Medicine department in St James’ Hospital to offer the most highly researched and innovative treatments available to combined dental and medical care, so that you can rest easy knowing your health is in the best hands.
Call 01 525 2670 or book your initial consultation with our knowledgeable front desk team and book an appointment now
Dr. Lisa looked after me very well and would definitely recommend their service.
Alan Salvio Jr Luz
Cannot recommend Dr.Rachael enough. She was so reassuring and friendly throughout. Root canal is not the nicest experience but was definitely easier than anticipated because of her. Dr. Rachael and Bart have a great rapport between them making the whole experience so much easier. They immediately put me at ease. Will be back for my crown!!!
Best dentist I've ever been too hands down! Blown away with how fast and painless everything was! 10000% would recommend to everyone!
I attended the clinic today and can honestly say that the treatment I received from Dr Lisa Boland and the team was excellent. I have not been to a dentist in a long time and was quite frankly in dread of the visit however my mind was put at ease. Dr Boland carried out some urgent treatment for me and is assembling a plan for the remaining treatment. I have no hesitation in recommending this clinic!
Very professional service from start to finish. Super efficient communication re appointments, & most importantly, very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Looking forward to my next visit with Dr Ian Han Xiang Kok.
The practice itself is prestine, very nice space. All staff were lovely and the examination was swift and proficient
Had a lovely experience each time iv visited dame Street dental..I was made feel very relaxed and would highly recommend dame Street dental..normally I would fear going to a dentist..but iv been to dame Street dental more than once and have no worries beforehand
Great service, friendly staff. Efficient and professional. Would recommend.
Rachel was so patient and considerate when speaking and treating me. Receptionists we’re also so lovely and helpful. I couldn’t recommend more. Thanks again, Aimee
The best dental experience I’ve ever come across. Thanks to Sinead on the desk and Dr Damien Smith for making everything so easy. Highly recommend!
Keith Mc Govern